Thursday, March 5, 2015

Where are they now?

The Cheshire cake on March 2, 2015

Hello, again! This is my first post on this blog of 2015, and I know I'm a bit overdue to make one so I thought I'd give everyone the scoop of what's happening while the cake hoopla continues to die down. I never thought I'd say such thing, but it's been over two months since the stl250 Cakeway to the West has ended. It's sad, but like they say, all good things have to come to an end. There are several memories that were had and many of us 'cakers' would love to do it again (myself included!).

On a good note, about a third of the cakes are still out at their original, or home location. Most of you know a lot of them were auctioned off from biddingforgood.com, as the proceeds went to improve the Chouteau memorial downtown. By the way, close to $50,000 was raised! About a few of the locations auctioned off their cake themselves, raising money for whatever cause (such as improvements of their place or whatnot). But some of have moved them indoors so patrons and visitors can continue to look at the cake masterpieces. At least a few are in talks of being re-painted by their places, most recently the one at St. Anthony's Medical Center.

But on a bad note, a few of the cakes had a sad ending. Two of them turned up missing/stolen, while at least one was taken to a recycling center. The good news is there are some caring people in the world who are working to preserve all of the cakes that are not just eye candy, but hours spent in hard work from the artists. Just recently, the cake at the Grand Avenue Water Tower was damaged from a snow plowing vehicle and it luckily was saved by a caker, who is repairing it at the moment.

To find out the current status on your favorite cake(s), please check out the new page I created. It is on the right hand side of this blog and the page is called '2015 Cake Status'. I will also be updating all of the cake pages on where the cake is now. It'll be time-consuming, but it will be worth it! You can also check out the website I have created called St. Louis 250 Cake Lovers, at www.stlouis250cakelovers.com. I have been very busy with the page that last three months, packing it with so much information! I hope you find both of these sites useful.

I'll post a few more pages in the coming weeks....stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment