Friday, July 11, 2014

#170: Dogtown

I'll be frank: Dogtown was another St. Louis neighborhood I wasn't familiar with until I briefly visited there and later, did research on it for this blog. I parked my car a couple streets away from the cake, and right away, I knew why they called it 'Dogtown'. Actually, I was wrong both ways. First, it's not considered a 'neighborhood'. Second, people walking dogs everywhere in that area is not how they got their name. I'm not kidding. I saw so many people walking their dogs alongside the roads and streets, and even tying them up outside businesses. I really did think this was supposed to be a pet-friendly part of the city! By the way, those who know me really well know I do not like animals, especially dogs, as I've had a lifelong phobia of them.

A dog in Dogtown.

I really had the wrong idea....

The cake was placed in front of Latitude 26 Smokehouse


And now the facts:
  • Dogtown was once a mining community, beginning in the 19th century. 
  • Home of the annual St. Patrick's Day Parade in St. Louis, as the neighborhood is known for its Irish heritage (there is also one in downtown St. Louis as well)
  • Dogtown is NOT considered one of St. Louis' 79 neighborhoods.
  • Also known as the 'Clayton-Tamm' neighborhood, as Dogtown is part of it
  • Dogtown is also well known for its line of restaurants, shops and bars.

Left side of the cake. Note: I couldn't get the back since there was a car parked there



Right side of the cake


Dogtown Wikipedia link
Visitdogtown.com (defunct at the moment)

1360 Tamm Avenue, ST. LOUIS, MO, 63139
Cake artist: Jess Goldthorpe

The cake was sold on 1/1/2015 for $806 in the biddingforgood auction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment