Tuesday, July 29, 2014

#195: James S. McDonnell Planetarium

The last one I got in Forest Park. I almost came here a month before while getting numerous cakes in Forest Park. I was at the Jewel Box when it suddenly rained hard and that put my cake-hunting on hold. But I managed to come back to snag this one.
The candle and top

Right side of the cake

Back side of the cake

Left side of the cake

  • Named for the aviation pioneer and McDonnell Douglas co-founder.
  • It is part of the St. Louis Science Center, connecting it with the bridge that is seen on I-64. 
  • Located on the site of an old mounted police station
  • Building was opened on April 1, 1963
  • One of the main features of the planetarium is the Orthwein StarBay. It shows a view of what the night sky 'technically' looks like showing thousands of stars which actually exist, but without the interference of city lights, pollution and weather.
  • On the first Friday of each month, the planetarium shows a free public telescope viewing at nighttime.

The entrance and the cake


Official website

Located near Clayton Road and Faulkner Drive in Forest Park
Cake artist: Sarah Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment