Friday, July 11, 2014

#172: St. Louis Science Center

If you grew up in the St. Louis area (no matter where), and if you were a child of the 80s to beyond, then the chances of you going here on an elementary class field trip are very high. Myself included, haha! I haven't been here in years. The last time I was here I didn't explore the museum, rather I attended a business/advertising meeting as part of my internship with Emmis Communications. I won a free phone, which was my very first cellphone. That was in the summer of 2002. My, times change.

I was here with a church friend, Mark, during my high school days. He was a youth leader and it was just me and him checking it out. I remember the Omnimax theater, which is one of the highlights of the place. But anyway, I'd love to go back sometime down the road. When I snapped the picture of this cake, I didn't go in since they were already closed. This was the latest I've gotten the cake shot, as you may tell it was getting dark outside.

Right side of the cake
Left side of the cake

Back side of the cake
The St. Louis Science Center's history goes back to 1963, with the founding of the James S. McConnell Planetarium. There was actually a science center located in Clayton, called the Museum of Science and Natural History. Its roots trace back to the 1850s, when it was founded by local wealthy businessmen. In 1983, the Museum of Science and Natural History's purchased the planetarium, and closed it temporarily. It was opened with its then-new and current name in 1985. By 1991, the Science Center was expanded (x7)with a new building to its South (on the other side of I-64/Hwy 40). That same year, it became the most visited science center in the world. To this day, it features several exhibits and 700 materials.

Main entrance, entering nighttime

A sunset picture of a part of the building


St. Louis Science Center on FB  (this is one of the most liked pages by my friends)
Wikipedia link
Official website

5050 Oakland Ave, ST. LOUIS, MO, 63110
Cake artist: Dennis Smith

UPDATE (8/24/2016): The whereabouts of this cake are unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment