Friday, July 18, 2014

#180: The Cheshire

Say if you're coming from the 'East side' (like I always do since I live there) and you're going to the Delmar Loop via Skinker (or 'Stinker', what I call it). You're leaving the Jack Buck Expressway and you're wanting to go to the Loop. But before you turn right, you can't help but acknowledge the oversized Amoco sign. Behind it is this St. Louis iconic place that I wasn't too familiar with.

That place is The Cheshire. Depending on who you talk to (British or American), it goes by two different pronunciations. Apparently the Brits say 'chesh-urr' while the St. Louisans say 'chesh-shire'! In all honesty, I wasn't familiar with this place at all. But after looking around the place, the valet driver who was standing in the parking lot was probably taken by the way I was taking pictures. He was very enthused about the place and told me all about it. I asked him if there were a dress code, and he said no, just come fully clothed. Hey, the place looked mighty upscale and if there's a valet service, you would probably get the wrong idea too!

But the employee was very talkative and he even suggested I eat at the restaurant. I had the money, but no cash or change. I had parked at a meter a block away, and the parking lot was full. By the way, this was my second time that evening I tried to go to The Cheshire. He said it was always busy and he always recommends valet service. I know, he's trying to promote his job, but I agree with him. I told him I will come back in the future. Maybe I will, maybe I won't....depends on if there's a special occasion down the road.

So what IS the Cheshire? I'd imagine it's a combination of the British-themed hotel, restaurant and shop. Looking at the history, it started out as a modest hamburger place in the 1920s. I'm not sure how it developed into what it is now. I really found it interesting that this pays tribute to British culture and all. I've seen St. Louis play tribute to the Irish, Germans, and Italians. This is the first time I've come across such thing. Apparently in the hotel, there's a lot of stuff about England. In the hotel rooms, there is a picture of at least one British personality. So, maybe I will come back since I'm curious!
The ritzy Cheshire Inn sign

A faded banner of The Cheshire with the British flags on it

The hotel and sign

The restaurant part of The Cheshire
And I couldn't help but take pictures of what is around The Cheshire:
The over-sized Amoco sign and the gas station right next to The Cheshire

And interestingly, the St. Louis city limits sign is just outside the place.  Think of it like the Four Corners: one foot on the city limits, one foot outside....
And now the other sides of the cake:


Left side of the cake

Right side of the cake

Top of the cake


The Cheshire on FB
Official website

6300 Clayton Ave., ST. LOUIS, MO, 63117
Cake artist: Diane Hansen

UPDATE (8/24/2016): The cake is still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment