Thursday, July 24, 2014

#188: Serendipity Homemade Ice Cream

 *PUBLIC VOTE WINNER*

Next stop on my quest for the Webster Groves cakes comes this mom-and-pop ice cream place I've heard so much about in the last month. Unfortunately because of my lactose intolerance issues, I can only eat a limited amount of dairy. I was also on a time schedule at the time, as I wanted to get the next three cakes in the suburban community. As it turns out I was disappointed in two ways.

First and foremost, I'm not here to tear down anyone's walls or give them a bad name. But, the workers were not that friendly. I asked the young teenager working behind the counter if they had anything besides sweets and he was like 'No, just ice cream, dude!'.  I was like, oh. Then he was trying to tell me they have salty ice cream. He was serious, didn't seem like he was joking. Also, the place didn't look that welcoming. I thought the room where the cake is was the entrance! I stood there looking like an idiot trying to open the locked door! People and their kids were staring at me through the window and my light bulb came on. Maybe their entrance is somewhere else? And it was, on the right.




The other thing I was kind of ticked about was the placement of this cake. Look, I'm already not a fan of indoor cakes. But I can understand both ways. At least this place was open a lot later than the other indoor cake places. The only bad thing was this was way too close to the dining area. I felt like I was being rude to the mother and her two kids when I was standing there taking pictures. Of course, I explained myself and they understood. But then there were people walking by from the door and didn't see what I was doing. I did see somewhere on the 'Cakeway to the West' Facebook group thread that Serendipity was considering moving this outside because customers were complaining about cake-hunters. I hope this is true, so no one else will go through what I did.
Right side of the cake

Left side of the cake

Anyway, maybe I'll come back down the road. They got at least 30 flavors (sound familiar?)!

Serendipity Homemade Ice Cream on FB
Official website

8130 Big Bend Blvd., WEBSTER GROVES, MO, 63119
Cake artist: Marianne Baer

No comments:

Post a Comment