Sunday, July 20, 2014

#184: Feasting Fox

  • Specializes in German cuisine, including and German sausage and apple strudel.
  • Built in 1913 by the Anheuser-Busch company as the 'Gretchen Inn'
  • Architecture was styled after Tudor Revival
  • Eventually it was named 'Al Smith's' and was that way for a long time, up until 1987
  • The building was vacant from 1987 to 1995
  • Designated as a St. Louis landmark in 2001.


Not sure about this part, but I guess at one time it was a patio or entrance. Thought it looked cool :)

Pub entrance
One of their backdoor entrances, I suppose

I usually get sick of saying this, but, I was NOT familiar with this place until this year for the cake hunt. My regret was not going in and eating at the time I took this cake, but I do want to go back and check it out. I do have German heritage (hence my last name!) so I gotta be loyal to my ancestry! My car was parked at Ted Drewes (2 doors down) so I didn't want to stay long in the area.


The Feasting Fox just happens to be located in St. Louis neighborhood Dutchtown. Dutchtown is also where Bevo Mill is located, and both of these places have a similar history as far as Anheuser-Busch and Prohibition. Those are pictures of the private-looking drive to Kingsland Court. It's got the unique symbol of Bevo Mill on top! (Notice the beer jug)
Right side of the cake



Left side of the cake

Back side of the cake
Mark Swain (who designed this cake and several more) spotlighted what made Dutchtown what it was. Among the places and organizations featured on the cake: (The Original) Crusoe's, Giuseppe's, Missouri Professional Cycling Series, Dad's Cookie Company, Merb's Candies, The Bluffs on Broadway, Urban Eats Cafe, Gus's Pretzels and the Grbic Restaurant. It also highlights the Cherokee-Lemp Historic District and the Meramec Virginia Business District.

Feasting Fox on FB
Official website

4200 Grand Blvd., ST. LOUIS, MO, 63111
Cake artist: Mark Swain

UPDATE (8/24/2016): The cake is still there, but is now in their back patio area.

No comments:

Post a Comment