Some facts about the caverns:
- The caverns are believed to have existed for over 400 million years.
- In the 1950s and 60s, movies and TV shows were shot in the caves, most notably Lassie.
- Legend has it that outlaw Jesse James and his gang hid here during the 1870s. No evidence is shown...yet
- Kate Smith once sang inside the 'theater' part of the caves
- In 1935, Meramec Caverns was opened by Lester Dill, who discovered the current 4.6 miles of caves that were found.
- The most visited cave in the state of Missouri, with 150,000 visitors yearly
Here's the greetings sign:
It was well worth the nearly 80 mile drive from where I live.
|Neon sign, located at the entrance to the cave|
|This is a shot of a Lassie photo, near the place where the Lassie TV series was filmed|
|This was taken inside their 'theater area'|
And, since I drove this far (again, the farthest for any cake), I actually hugged the darn thing! Then I took a moment to recognize what it stood for. This is a cake that represents Route 66 (one of two Route 66-themed cakes painted by Rich Brooks).
|Left side of the cake|
|Back side of the cake|
|Right side of the cake|
NOW: The cake was removed in January 2015. Its whereabouts are unknown at the moment.
1135 Route W, SULLIVAN, MO, 63079
Cake artist: Rich Brooks