Wednesday, August 27, 2014

#229: The Magic House

This is a place I haven't been to since I was a kid. It's been more than 2 decades at least! I'd say...4th grade? With the school or scouts, one or the other. I do have great memories of this place. For those who have never been here or heard of it, this is pretty-much a definite hands-on experience for any kid!

Before I came out this way for my long cake-hunt (which included this place), I asked a lady I work with, who recently visited here with her young boys, if its common for a 30-something guy like me to come in. I just wanted to re-live my childhood times for old times sake! But she said no, as it is better if you have children. Hmmmm....

So I let that go and got the cake.


  • Opened in 1979.
  • It grew from a 5,500 sq. ft house to 55,000 through time!
  • The Magic House has gained national attention for being one of America's top children's museums.
  • There are numerous sections that have been added inside the Magic House since its inception, including the porch (which houses the cake), and some kids play areas.
  • Perhaps its most famous exhibit (as shown in its advertisements over the years), is the electro-static generator, which after touched for a long time, your hair stands up!
  • The actual house was built in 1901 and belonged to George Lane Edwards and his family, who were part of the A.G. Edwards business in St. Louis.
A window feature

Front of the Magic Housebuilding
Here are the sides of the cake, which happily sits at the entrance porch:
Left side of the cake

Right side of the cake

Back side of the cake

Top of the cake

UPDATE: The cake is reportedly in storage, not in public view.

I chatted with the cake's artist back in August 2015. Here is Mr. Arnold posing with one of many murals he created:


The Magic House on FB
Wikipedia link
Official website

516 S. Kirkwood Rd., ST. LOUIS, MO, 63122    (the cake is located in or near Kirkwood, but the address is St. Louis)
Cake artist: Jeffrey Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment