Throughout the 20th century to today, Alton has been a manufacturing city and working-class place. In 1954, Alton was one of three cities selected for the site of the United States Air Force. A little town called Colorado Springs got it instead, and the town grew to become Colorado's 2nd largest city. Just think what would have happened if they put it in Alton?! Alton has also seen its struggles, including the Great Flood of '93.
- Robert Wadlow - the world's tallest person
- Miles Davis - the 'king of cool' jazz music; Rock and Roll Hall of Famer (there is a statue of him that will be placed in Alton in the future)
- Phyllis Schlafly - conservative activist and writer
- James Earl Ray - assassin of Dr. Martin Luther King
- Bonnie Bramlett - rocker who sang with the Ikettes and Delaney & Bonnie, later played Roseanne's friend Bonnie on TV's Roseanne
|Alton City Hall|
|Behind the grand ol' fountain across from Alton City Hall. Look closely and you'll get a nice view of the Clark Bridge (which is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year) and the Mississippi River|
|The welcoming staircase inside Alton City Hall|
|Left side of the cake|
|Right side of the cake|
NOTE: This cake has since been removed to the outside of the building, possibly due to cake-hunters' complaints about the limited hours the City Hall is open.
Cake artist: Screwed Artist Collective