- Erected in 1925, the building was originally called The St. Louis Theater.
- The St. Louis Theater regularly showed vaudeville-type shows and movies.
- In the mid-60s, the building underwent several renovations, and re-opened as the new home of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra in 1968. The orchestra still regularly performs there.
- It was also renamed Powell Symphony Hall, after St. Louis businessman Walter S. Powell.
- Powell, who was president of the U.S. Figure Skating Association in the mid-1940s, died in 1961 in a plane crash. His widow donated $1 million towards the hall.
- Free tours are offered (reservations required)
|A mural outside the hall|
|Side of the building|
|Left side of the cake|
|Back side of the cake|
|Right side of the cake|
Powell Hall on FB
St. Louis Symphony's Official website
718 N. Grand Blvd., ST. LOUIS, MO, 63101
Cake artist: Earl Miller