Wednesday, June 25, 2014

#51: Steinberg Skating Rink

In the eastern part of Forest Park, leaning towards north, lies the largest outdoor skating rink in the Midwest. Several people say 'if you want the true outdoor winter experience, come there'. In the wintertime they would often host bonfire parties along with the winter treats like hot chocolate. Even though its mostly a winter destination, Steinberg also brings summer fun. The rink is converted into a sand volleyball court.

Steinberg Skating Rink opened on November 11, 1957. It was named for Mark C. Steinberg, who operated a brokerage firm in St. Louis that became very successful in the mid-20th century. Steinberg died in 1951, but his wife Etta generously donated money to the city so Forest Park can have a skating rink. Etta was reportedly inspired by the skating rink in New York City's Central Park. Since that time, it has become an iconic piece.





Since I couldn't go in I decide to take a shot of the indoor neon sign

I have never learned how to skate, be it ice-skating or roller skating or blading. I don't mind watching people do it. I'm not really sure why I never got into it, but I remember the days at the old Cottonwood Skate Corral in Glen Carbon I wasn't allowed to go skating with my older sisters, so I kind of held a grudge about it since then. I've also been invited to skating parties in my younger days but I was the benchwarmer who was very closed-minded about it. It's not the fear of falling, but I guess I just didn't want to get involved, that's all....



Steinberg Skating Rink on FB
Official website

400 Jefferson Drive, ST. LOUIS, MO, 63110
Cake artist: Ian Greenlee

No comments:

Post a Comment