- The park goes way back to 1856 as a privately-owned unit by the St. Louis Agricultural and Mechanical Association. It was used
- During the Civil War, the park was used as a Union encampment, which was known as Benton Barracks.
- By the 1880s, it was converted into a horse-racing track (The St. Louis Fair and Jockey Club), which of course, was used for gambling. The track was closed in 1905 as an anti-gambling politician, Joseph W. Folk, was elected Mayor of St. Louis.
- Became a public park
- A zoo was also once here, as a bear pit that once existed is still visible today.
- Once considered a site for the Saint Louis Zoo.
- Neighborhoods O'Fallon, Fairground, Greater Ville and Vandeventer surround the area.
- Fairground Park is 132 acres.
|Right side of the cake|
Fairground Park on FB
Park on St. Louis city website
3700 Fair Avenue, ST. LOUIS, MO, 63107
Cake artist: Dan Jaboor